Author Topic: Favorite civ? Why?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +21/-16
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
Favorite civ? Why?
« on: July 29, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »
What's everyone's favorite civ to play? why?

For me: I play whatever leader on the steam achievement list I haven't yet won with to get the achievement for winning as that leader. If I had to pick a favorite though, I'd go with England. The combo of the longbowmen + the upgraded frigate makes warring in that era amazing, and thats usually when i'm starting to gear up to make a serious push at a neighbor.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +118/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Re: Favorite civ? Why?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:57 pm »
I am on my first game. I just used the random generator. I am a woman  :o

Offline LeifLoketOlsson

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • Kudos: +7/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:17 am »
Played first round as Sweden, Caroleans are *@#$! awesome, healing every turn makes you lose very few of them. Hakkapeliittas are also pretty nice since they get a larger bonus (I think it's doubled) from generals, and the a general stacked with them gains their movement speed.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +60/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:21:09 am »
Don't really have a favorite. I think lots of them have nice advantages. The mongol horse archers are awesome for instance.

Ultimately though, I've played most Civ's only once or twice. Once I win with them, I switch and play another Civ. I had nearly won with all the Civ's back before they released a bunch more... I think I have all the vanilla Civ's with wins. Less for the achievements and more to keep the game fresh. My horse archer tactic for instance is too easy to win wars to always play with.

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +25/-56
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:12:16 am »
Romans are my favorite as far as 'flavor' goes; I've always enjoyed Roman history.

But the Aztecs are easily my favorite Civ in the game for the following reasons:
- Jungle start bias. Jungles are hands down the best tiles in the game.
- Jaguars; in the jungle, they're practically scouts - strong scouts who heal 33% of their health and get a combat bonus in jungles. And can be upgraded through the entire game with all of these abilities intact.
- Floating Gardens give any city on a river a 15% bonus to food; combine that with a few other bonuses and you can easily get over 50% (which means every tile giving 2 food earns a bonus 3rd); I had a city in one game with 43 people that was still getting 30+ food excess a turn.
- Anything they kill yields culture.

I tend to not like playing too many different leaders, like In WoW I didn't like having more than one character. Just prefer to stick to what I know and enjoy. I know I can still viably shoot for most victory conditions with any leader, so the biggest factor I've found recently has often been what kind of start bias a leader has.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:15:56 am by MadMage »

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +14/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »
Polynesians are the ones I normal play. Mainly because they got a ocean bias (I hate having cities inland or starting inland) and can embark and cross the ocean from the very beginning. That plus their Moia are nice for defensive culture generation in Brave New World.

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.

Offline codete

• super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
    • software house
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:09 am »
Also Sweden. I come from Poland and they invaded PL in XVII century, that's funny to do things like those personally lol

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +84/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
    • Sheephole
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:56:25 pm »
Romans are my favorite as far as 'flavor' goes; I've always enjoyed Roman history.

But the Aztecs are easily my favorite Civ in the game for the following reasons:
- Jaguars; in the jungle, they're practically scouts - strong scouts who heal 33% of their health and get a combat bonus in jungles. And can be upgraded through the entire game with all of these abilities intact.
- Floating Gardens give any city on a river a 15% bonus to food; combine that with a few other bonuses and you can easily get over 50% (which means every tile giving 2 food earns a bonus 3rd); I had a city in one game with 43 people that was still getting 30+ food excess a turn.

I tend to not like playing too many different leaders, like In WoW I didn't like having more than one character. Just prefer to stick to what I know and enjoy. I know I can still viably shoot for most victory conditions with any leader, so the biggest factor I've found recently has often been what kind of start bias a leader has.

Yes...When we played together I would specifically race to offset and acquire his preferred abilities....because I'm evil and it's the only way to beat him.

and Yes, I prefer Pyldrvr as a woman too ...yet with all his male features.  :philosiraptor:

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis

Offline boxoflove

• super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
    • www.boxoflove.eu
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:53:51 am »
Since last year, I do a little follow tour on Sid Meier in general - currently thinking that Sid Meier's Starships is smashing. Better than Civ 2 Revolution that I simply loved. I'm thinking if I like to more than Civ VI, but probably not. Whaddya think of Starships?

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +25/-56
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:47:56 am »

Yes...When we played together I would specifically race to offset and acquire his preferred abilities....because I'm evil and it's the only way to beat him.

and Yes, I prefer Pyldrvr as a woman too ...yet with all his male features.  :philosiraptor:

I don't recall you ever managing to beat me, Bannta ;)

Anyone playing Civ 6? I really enjoy it, but single player isn't really as enjoyable.

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +14/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 07:35:29 am »
I would if could get my scheduled to match other peoples, been chaotic at best lately. Sadly Civ 6 is only good in multiplayer, the bipolar schizophrenic AI make single player as much fun as squeezing one's nuts in vice.

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.