Author Topic: Hurricane Michael.  (Read 734 times)

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +25/-57
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
Hurricane Michael.
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:32:28 pm »
So, uhhhh... don't know if anyone was aware that I live in Panama City, FL. We got hit last Wednesday by a massive hurricane and most of the town is straight up gone. My mother and sister lost their house and Foxwhal and I have no water, power or cell service and the date for restoration is estimated to be at least two weeks for the lesser impacted regions. My apartment itself is mostly intact and we cooked all of the meat and perishables we had available to survive for now.

Hanging in there. Need a shower pretty badly.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +64/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Michael.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:55:40 pm »
Hang in there! Glad to hear you are mostly intact. Get through the next couple of weeks and it'll be a great story you can tell in the future!

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
Glad you are ok Madmage! Stay strong brother!

Offline Chubain

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +59/-50
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:46:58 am »
I've been through a couple bad hurricanes, so I know it can be very difficult.  Hang in there!
(SOL) Navy

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +58/-41
  • Experimental Food Product
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:31 am »
I am on the periphery helping with the Telecom Restoration part of the disaster area.

It looks bad man. Glad to hear you made it through relatively unscathed.
"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +126/-113
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:55:26 am »
Glad to hear you are all ok. Shitty to lose all your stuff, though. Hence why I would rather chance it with volcanoes and earthquakes than the yearly hurricanes you guys put up with down there.

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +15/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 06:57:18 pm »
Damn dude, sorry to hear about you sister and mothers place. You and foxwhal stay safe as well till stuff is restored. No offense though, I still think you guys in that area are nuts, like Pyldvr said, I'd rather deal with chances of volcanoes and earthquakes (plus the regular blizzards we get in idaho) then yearly hurricanes you guys deal with.

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +85/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:52:34 am »
well!!!??? who won the pool or did we all pick Madmage wasn't going to survive this hurricane?

Glad you intact.

FLORIDA -
Always need a plan, know your city flood zones, a go bag and put you most valuables is a watertight container(hopefully high to increase the chances of survival).

and

NOTE: feral cats are editable but must be cooked well done and or boiled to kill off diseases and parasites.

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +33/-53
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 07:55:38 pm »
They say that Micheal hitting the Florida panhandle was a hundred year storm. Hurricane Katrina in 2005 in New Orleans was a hundred year storm. Superstorm Sandy in 2012 was a hundred year storm. Hurricane Joaquin in 2015 brought 1000 year flooding to South Carolina. Hurricane Harvey in Houston in 2017 was a hundred year storm. Hurricane Florence this year would have been called a hundred year storm if they hadn't just had their thousand year one.

This is not complaining about global warming by the way. Just some investment advice. California is never going to fall into the sea and bring you ocean front property in Arizona. But you might purchase along the purple line here if you want to be as close to the coast as possible without losing everything you own as these "hundred year storms" become yearly events!

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 06:11:01 am »
If you lived on the Gulf Coast at any point, you would understand.

It gets in some folks' blood. Maybe not yours, you bunch of heathen snow people. But a lot of folks.

Sunshine, salt in the air, rarely cold.
The Gulf is "right over there".

And the Gulf Coast is where folks who love the sea don't have to pay California/Miami prices to get itch scratched.

Hurricanes are how God balances out all the awesome.
"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline Etouffee

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +30/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 07:11:13 am »
I've lived up north and I have lived along the Gulf Coast and I prefer the coast for the most part. Also, the purple part of that map can get hit harder in the case of some storms than the actual coast. I saw a couple of storms come in when I lived in Corpus Christi where you would have several people die in San Antonio due to flooding and the coast wasn't any worse for ware.

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 09:25:27 am »
I am on the periphery helping with the Telecom Restoration part of the disaster area.

Are you in my city? You need to come have a beer with me, Tucker!

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »

I was in Tallahassee.
Back in Pensacola now.
That stretch of SR20 between Freeport and Youngstown was freaking hosed.
"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 07:06:19 am »

I was in Tallahassee.
Back in Pensacola now.
That stretch of SR20 between Freeport and Youngstown was freaking hosed.
So what you're saying is you passed right by and didn't stop to say hey. I see how it is.

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:02 am »
So. Update. My guess is about 60-70 percent of Panama City and the surrounding suburbs to the East are destroyed; most of the businesses and homes are being condemned and the East side of town is still without power and water, and most of the city is still without data and cell service is spotty. Of my gaming circle and family, only myself and OldSchool have power and water - Fox's grandparents' home is gone and her parents are without any utilities. KelticBlade has moved to Tallahassee, and few of my gaming circle is staying. I myself, with Fox, am considering North Carolina...

We went to Olive Garden last night. They opened for a few hours for dinner and allowed few in, as most of their employees are gone. Took us an hour to find a place still standing, much less open. The other option was a Chinese buffet I would not eat at in good conditions.

Power trucks from as far as Canada are here rebuilding the power grid - it had to be completely rebuilt, as the infrastructure was completely devastated.

The city itself has four major sources of income; Tyndall AFB, a paper mill, a shipyard and tourism. None survived. The extent of the damage is mind boggling... I've been in hurricanes before, but this is insane.