Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 764 times)

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +126/-113
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 08:50:58 am »
can you group up with your buddies on the same server? If so, how many per group?

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:42 pm »
Looks like 4 per group. I cannot confirm this as it is just me from SN. I will find out though.

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 05:38:14 am »
I have three Beta Keys available to anyone who wants to try it. These are for PC only.

Next beta event is today 5pm – 9 pm ET (1pm – 5 pm PT), and Sunday, November 4th, from 2pm – 9 pm ET (11am – 5 pm PT)

I work both days so I will not get much playing time with those stupid beta hours.  I am sending the Beta Keys to Pyl so he can manage distributing them while I am away.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 04:48:03 pm »
Telsa gave me the keys to hand out. Since the beta ends at the end of tomorrow, I won't be bothering to download it. I'm going to post all three keys here and they are first come first serve.

GO!!!

MEA2-GQ3Q-X9YP-42HF-B9DD

3N8P-Y8AE-N3XA-B9QY-X48K

6F9K-U3KR-G2MM-H3UF-A79G

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 05:22:05 pm »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:35:17 am by Tesla »

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 06:48:25 pm »

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 06:59:01 am »
So I claimed a resource base last night to figure out how that works. It is a really cool game concept. Basically resource locations have a workbench like in Fallout 4. Once you clear the area of MOBS, you can claim the work bench. Once you do this, you are allocated some building components to start building in the resource area. Each one has nodes where you can harvest basic building mats. I chose the Charleston Junk Yard. It had an Aluminum, Steel, Copper, Junk, Water, and Food resource nodes.

Your resource gather equipment are node specific (I.E. one for gathering steel, one for gathering copper, etc etc.)  As long as they are not destroyed and the generators you have them hooked up to are running, they will produce material over time. Keep in mind, anyone can take items out of the resource harvesters, so it is wise to set up some defensive measures to deter people from wandering in and taking your stuff. You have to decide if you want to hang around and protect it, or wander off to do missions. At first I was like this is going to be boring, but I found out, that is not the case.

Once you claim the area, you have a building budget (To prevent you from building some crazy crap) You have to balance between defensive structures, and resource gathering structures. The game gives you a little bit of time to do this, and then the fun begins. At certain time intervals (Which I didn't really figure out) your resource base comes under attack. ( think Conan Exiles Purge) Except you have a set amount of waves you have to defend against, the AI is pretty good, I saw Super Mutants circumvent my turrets and walls to find a weak spot in my defences. They try to get inside and destroy your generators, harvesting equipment, or just try and kill you. In the time I was there, I was attacked by Ghouls, Mutant dog pack, and Super Mutants with Mutant beasts.

Upon successful completion of the defence event, you are awarded more building mats and experience. The cool thing about this is, not only can the AI attack you, but other players can attack you to make the claim. While the latter did not happen, (Most people were just running around exploring the map,  or just running around doing quests) I can see these being extremely fun after release. As they afford valuable resources, and give you a goal to raiding. (Conan Exiles you raid and loot, then leave) Here you can raid, loot, and take over the place.

I could envision while I was doing this having one person divert attention to the front of the base, while the others attack it from the rear. Fortunately for me, this was in the last hour of the beta, so it was not a big deal. I wanted to learn the mechanics of how it worked and to experience for myself. I found it to be a great addition to the game.

I do see the Poseidon Nuclear Power plant being heavily contested, as there is a Fusion Core resource there. Fusion Cores as you know, are the power source for Power Armor. I did manage to get three power armor frames, but you need to be at least level 25 to equip armor on the frames (T-45 power armor pieces) I think Raider Power armor pieces have a lower level requirement, but I did not manage to find any.

I did use my power armor frame for awhile (it affords more carry weight) I did really need to be careful, as I only had two fusion cores. Once you exit your power armor, it will automatically return to your inventory after about 60 seconds. (So if your run out of energy with fusion cores, your power armor is not stuck out in the middle of nowhere) The only thing that sucks about it is that it is heavy, and will weigh you down. Just like the single player games, being over your weight limit will prevent fast travel, and it drains your Action Points (stamina bar) over time.

I managed to build a small base, and then create a blueprint, so when I moved it to a different location on the map, I just selected the blueprint and positioned it on the ground and voila, base was moved intact with crafting stations. The only issue I found with this, and I think it is smart on Bethesda's behalf, you have to find an area that will support your blueprint, So if something is clipping into where you are trying to place it, it will not let you place it. Also you need to have all the building material to rebuild it. Concrete, steel, copper, wood, ect etc. So if you keep moving your base around, it's going to drain your building materials quickly. Keep in mind, you do not have to do this, you can place your C.A.M.P. on the ground and build a base however you please in the location you are at without using the blueprint. One thing to keep in mind, once you place your C.A.M.P. your previous base location is gone. I like this, as it prevents building spam. However, if your are part of a team, each individual could build their own base in certain locations.

So far with the limited time I got to play, I found it to be a very enjoyable experience. I did not get to experience any team or group play. I experienced very little PVP. I guess if I was to point to anything negative in the game would be that there are no NPC's. (Robots are the only exception, as I did find a bunch of protectrons at different locations that were friendly and gave missions and rewards) Most of your missions are derived from computer terminals, notes, and holotapes. While this could be seen as a negative, you could certainly take on the role of a npc vendor, charging caps for ammo, or armor upgrades, etc etc. In fact there was a guy on the server I was playing on that was upgrading people's weapons for caps and fusion cores.

I think I basically covered my experience. If you guys have any questions, let me know.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:33:05 am by Tesla »

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 08:05:48 am »
Here is a map of the game with the basic level of each area. I only managed to explore maybe 1/2 of the forest, and half of the Ash Heap. My base of operations was in the middle of the ash heap. You need a gas mask or respirator to walk around there. It was nice, as it kept alot of people out of there.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WssJoMc

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 08:52:36 am »
Thanks for the writeup, Tesla. Sounds like a fun game! I'm still on the fence whether or not I'll buy, but I'm staying tuned.

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +85/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 10:22:36 am »
Thanks for the writeup, Tesla. Sounds like a fun game! I'm still on the fence whether or not I'll buy, but I'm staying tuned.

same...playing with peeps does sound fun.

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 12:02:35 pm »
If you liked the previous Fallout games, you will like this. Only this time you can share adventures with people you game with.

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 12:06:31 pm »
I also started this thread on Reddit to find out how grouping and shared bases work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9vnrvr/grouping_and_teams/

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 01:51:21 pm »
I also started this thread on Reddit to find out how grouping and shared bases work.

max team size is 4.
this is a limiting factor, for sure.

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 04:32:35 am »

max team size is 4.

Yeah, but we made that work on the Apex Server, no difference here.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 06:06:21 pm »

max team size is 4.

Yeah, but we made that work on the Apex Server, no difference here.
can you get more than one group on the same server somehow?