Author Topic: Decay is active!  (Read 53 times)

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +63/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
Decay is active!
« on: July 11, 2018, 06:51:56 am »
This is a Public Service Announcement

The building decay on our server was not working previously, but is now working. This means buildings will decay within 6 days if they are not visited. The exact mechanics are not entirely clear, but a few things:
  • If you do have buildings or bases that you don't use, the system will first abandon them so they aren't owned, and then eventually destroy them
  • If you have something with 6 or less foundation blocks, this will happen within hours, not days
  • You can check the "decay timer" with a repair hammer. Things like fish traps will show "decay" on them in red when you get close to them as well
  • Just going to your structure and leaving isn't enough to prevent decay. The more decayed it is, the longer you need to stay there. Pyldrvr believe it updates decay every minute
  • Decay is a clan feature, so if someone else from your clan visits, it's good enough. So we can visit Horns while he's on vacation and keep his stuff intact

Overall server decay offers a couple advantages. Most importantly it gets rid of old things nobody is using any more to help the server run better and free up space for new things. Second, it makes having a lot of wide flung tiny little hidey holes a lot more work, which discourages people from just setting up a dozen safe houses all over and instead having only a few locations, enhancing PvP possibilities. You can't just stick a vault somewhere obscure and only visit it to pull out one uber thrall for example to keep people from finding out about it.

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +125/-113
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Re: Decay is active!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:02 am »
Also, we can adjust the decay timers if everyone decides it is too short. I do like the server cleaning itself up, though. It will make for a much less laggy experience for us all.

Offline IceGhost

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +35/-42
  • Everyone's Favorite Frozen Treat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:31:26 pm »
6 days does seem kind of short IMHO.  Especially for a place like mine where I am kind of a ways away from the obelisks and from others' bases.  I don't get a lot of visitors.  If I go on vacation, someone would have to make a very deliberate effort to come out to my place to upkeep it.  I would rather see a decay timer more around 2 or 3 weeks.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +63/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:40 am »
I agree with Iceghost that a little longer would be nice. I don't know if we need to stretch it out to three weeks, but 14 days could work. We'd only need someone to visit once if we're on a 2+ week vacation then.

We could wait until this weekend to implement the longer timer, so anything not visited this week will get cleaned up, and then extend it?

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +125/-113
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 09:17:09 am »
I agree with Iceghost that a little longer would be nice. I don't know if we need to stretch it out to three weeks, but 14 days could work. We'd only need someone to visit once if we're on a 2+ week vacation then.

We could wait until this weekend to implement the longer timer, so anything not visited this week will get cleaned up, and then extend it?
Sounds good to me.