Author Topic: FPS problems with PS2  (Read 856 times)

Offline Netdevil

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • Kudos: +2/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
FPS problems with PS2
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:55:53 pm »
Current system:
Intel I5 6500 CPU 3.2Ghz, 4.0Ghz Turbo
ASUS GTX 1070 Video Card
Corsair 8gb 3200 RAM
Intel 240gb SSD drive
LG 29" Ultra Wide monitor (2560x1080)

I get the standard 50-60fps while alone or with a handful of enemies. Anything over 20-30 troops on screen and it's unplayable. Especially bad when I go to aim down the sights. Really stutters then. I've gone to the User.ini files and changed the settings per recommendations from Youtube and I continue to have an open technical ticket from Daybreak after the usual BS of reinstalling game, updating all drivers, blah blah blah.

I've been working on this for a week or two now. Just haven't had loads of time to dedicate to this problem at the moment. Any suggestions will be attempted to help stabilize my framerate. Valen is getting antsy and wants to see how its supposed to be done in Planetside ;)

Thanks,
Netdevil
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:56:50 pm by Netdevil »
"Children, the only time they tell the truth, is when they're in pain.."
-Bill Cosby

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +119/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Re: FPS problems with PS2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:33 am »
Looks like that should be a sufficient setup to run it just fine. You can't even run it on low graphical settings?

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +65/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:29 am »
I have a very similar setup and it runs fine.  The only difference really is video card, I have R9 290.  IIRC, PS2 is very CPU intensive, but you have enough horsepower to run fine, so lets investigate other things:
1) Antivirus - can you disable for gaming?  A lot of A/V have a gaming mode or disable outright as its queue may be getting backed up as the assets increase over the network.
2) Make sure you have only one antivirus application installed, can't count how many times I've seen a main antivirus product, mcafee free version and windows defender all running at the same time and it causes hell.
3) Network, what do you have and have you checked bandwidth and latency to the servers?
4) Background processes - check your task manager and see if anything is working too hard in the backend.  A little program like print to pdf can cause hell at the weirdest times.
5) BIOS updates - how long has it been since you updated the BIOS on your MB and updated system level drivers like north and south bridge?  This has fixed several issues for me.

You should be able to run it fine with your hardware.  Everything is a shot in the dark without logs and debugging during the time of the event.  Hope this helps.

Offline Netdevil

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:16:58 pm »
I've dropped down to Low settings on everything. FPS sits around 50-60 but drops into the 30s for larger battles. Main problem is that damn stutter when I go to draw my weapon and look down the sights. Literally takes 3-4 seconds for it to line up. This stutter occurs regardless if my framerate is 30 or 60. It gets worse however when there are many troops around. I could play the game fine even at 30fps but I can't combat that stutter during weapon draw.

I'm running though the list Alphie made and I'll report back. Running on a 50mbps network so that shouldn't be an issue. Getting a 75 ping on a West Coast server aint bad.
-Bill Cosby

Offline Twinky

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +20/-18
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:37:01 am »
How much memory is being used? (I run x64 everything and have tons of poo running so 8GB sounds small to me)

Any overlays running (including hidden overlays like steam, uplay, ect)? Recording? nVidia Shadowplay turned off? Drivers up-to-date? Might find MSI afterburner app to watch the GPU performance and watch the temps to make sure its cooling properly (problem I have where the fans kick in too late and use the app to adjust the thresholds).
I'll try anything once and do it again for fun.

Always out numbered. Never out gunned.
Twitch: TwinkyGTV
Twitter: @BigNopes
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bigtxn

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +84/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
    • Sheephole
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:17:00 am »
Are you wearing pants? I suggest removing all your clothing, and I'll send you a "special" PS2 enhancing suit...which may or may not be wool base. Sent me your address and unlock only the doors which are not visible from the street when you put the "special" suit on...also turn off the light in the room where your playing PS2...

~love Bannta

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis

Offline Netdevil

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 01:07:31 pm »
So after 47 changes made to the game files and Nvidia Launch Platform, I'm able to aim my rifle with reasonable speed. Still gets mighty choppy in massive battles, which I've learned to avoid. I don't know exactly what I did to fix the problem but I have a feeling turning the Shadow Cache to "off" made a difference. I did not check the game after all 47 changes lol.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I can finally hold my own for a bit now. I'll see you in-game.

Discord for voice chat correct?
-Bill Cosby

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +14/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 04:06:58 pm »
So after 47 changes made to the game files and Nvidia Launch Platform, I'm able to aim my rifle with reasonable speed. Still gets mighty choppy in massive battles, which I've learned to avoid. I don't know exactly what I did to fix the problem but I have a feeling turning the Shadow Cache to "off" made a difference. I did not check the game after all 47 changes lol.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I can finally hold my own for a bit now. I'll see you in-game.

Discord for voice chat correct?
Yeah, though no idea if anyone will be on this weekend.

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.

Offline Etouffee

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +28/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:14 am »
I have been on pretty much all weekend. Saw Horns and Lead a couple of times but that's about it.

Offline Milkman

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +6/-3
  • Long live Quantar!
    • View Profile
    • MHOC
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 01:41:11 pm »
Are you having problems with lag in other games?  Perhaps overheating from the wool suit? 

Assuming 64bit OS?  If not, i had various lag problems on a win7 32bit...  hopefully your fully using all your ram.

Is the game installed on that SSD or on an additional hard drive?  If they aren't caching the textures in memory well, it might be making calls out to the drive and could cause lag like that.

www.mhoc.net
-Milkman

Offline Netdevil

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:58:17 pm »
Haven't had any issues whatsoever with much more demanding online games, IE Arma 3, Rising Storm Vietnam, and FFIV. I've just completed my third fresh re-install of the PS2 Client and the results are actually worse this time around. I can play the game much better, albeit at lower settings, on my 6 yr old Asus ROG laptop. I'm coming to the conclusion that A: I'm not alone with this problem according to reddit and GTX1070 users, B: I believe that game is just poorly optimized and coded by monkeys at this point.

Win 10 64 bit, I took off the wool suit but don't tend to have heat issues anyway, SSD drive 240gb PNY. 50% roughly RAM usage. 50mbps internet has not given me much problems at all. I DL at 6MB a sec on average with 1.5MB upload and they don't roller coaster.
-Bill Cosby

Offline Milkman

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Long live Quantar!
    • View Profile
    • MHOC
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 09:53:24 am »
Did you system ever have a different video card in it?  Perhaps old drivers still in there somewhere messing stuff up?

BUt yes.. there is a bit of monkey coding in this game i think...  :bashhead:

www.mhoc.net
-Milkman

Offline Netdevil

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »
Did you system ever have a different video card in it?  Perhaps old drivers still in there somewhere messing stuff up?

BUt yes.. there is a bit of monkey coding in this game i think...  :bashhead:

You know, I did have an RX 480 on this board when they first came out. When I get the chance after work tonight, I'll throw a fresh install of windows on board. It's about time anyways. This box has been up for a year or more.

Thanks Milkman,  :cheers:
-Bill Cosby

Offline Milkman

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Long live Quantar!
    • View Profile
    • MHOC
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:50 pm »
A fresh install insn't needed to get rid of old video drivers.  If you haven't done that yet, give this a try.

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

or http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:19:16 pm by Milkman »

www.mhoc.net
-Milkman

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +119/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 08:28:45 am »
A fresh install insn't needed to get rid of old video drivers.  If you haven't done that yet, give this a try.

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

or http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then again, if it's been much over a year I usually look for an excuse for a fresh format and install. Nothing like a brand new baby OS installation. :)