Author Topic: Crusader Kings II  (Read 12942 times)

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +58/-41
  • Experimental Food Product
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings II
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:16 pm »
Ireland is a great place to get a feel for the game.

Wales and Scotland are a little harder.

Once you get the raiding mechanic down, any of the viking starting points are fun. Little bit harder.

After that, you are ready to take a stab at anywhere on the map.
Typically, the closer you get to the Byzantines or the Muslims, the harder the game.

They have a few OP mechanics and start out so strong that they can really make your life hell.
The only time I have ever been flat out eliminated, I started as a one county Christian in the Iberian Peninsula and got steam rolled by the Ummayids.
I played as Transylvania one time and it was super hard. I wanted to be like the real Vlad the Impaler so I went Christian as soon as I could and was constantly attacked by the Tengri hordes.
But it was totally worth it once I got entrenched.
Finland is a tough one too. Sooooo many vikings nearby and you start off so weak and squishy.

But hey, the game warns you that it is historically accurate as it can be and isn't trying to be "fair".
"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline Etouffee

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +30/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:39 am »
Yea I haven't yet got the hang of a lot of the mechanics yet but I am learning a bit every day. I can't seem to make money but I think I know what I have been doing wrong and am going to try and fix that tonight.

So with no money war has been out of the question. I did try and have my guys join the crusades and that went horribly wrong quickly.

I have been doing a lot of reading of the Wiki and it is helping but still so much to learn. It's like playing on a chess board that is like 1000 x 1000 spaces.

My plan is by this weekend I want to start another game and try and get a better start but that will depend if I can turn this current one around or not. I'm about to go into my 3 gen and my Heir is a 45 year old hunchback :)

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:44 am »
Update for those of yall that still play Crusader Kings.

There is a mod called "After the End Fan Fork" that is amazing.
Post apocalyptic America with all sorts of different groups and tweaked mechanics.
My big suggestion is to avoid the Profile Packs since they can screw up the interface and make it to where you can't interact with certain characters.
Just use the main MOD.

Most folks will play as their home town I figure.
I am currently the Voodoo King of Pensacola and just started clearing Rastafarians out of the Holy Sites in Haiti. From Ruston to Jacksonville, my word is law.
The Pope of St. Louis declared a Crusade against me for Louisiana but by using mercenary elephant troops from the Cincinnati Zoo, I was able to crush them.
The Russians have invaded California, but that is too far away to matter much.
I have had fun watching the Aggie Republic and the Longhorn Oligarchy battle for dominance in Texas.
The Mormons and the Comanche tribes are murdering each other, but eventually one will win and start looking for new victims.
But the most pressing issue is the Holy Evangelical Columbian Confederacy to the north, that has chewed up the Kingdoms of Old Dominion and the Rust Belt to the North and will be looking to spread south as soon as I show weakness.

Here is a link to the steam community if anyone is interested.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1341894851
"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline Etouffee

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 05:17:38 am »
That sounds way to cool to pass up! Thanks for posting this Ded :)

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:26 am »
That sounds way to cool to pass up! Thanks for posting this Ded :)

Lafayette can be a major player along the coast. Very good duchy.
You are going to love it.

Another tidbit.
If start your game as Thomas Wayne, the Duke of Gotham, when he dies you play as Bruce Wayne, who gets special character events.
Yes. He is freaking Batman.
There are other folks that get special events but I haven't dove too deep into the Reddit to find out who they all are.
"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline Etouffee

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 05:21:23 am »
Nice! I'm still trying to find the mod file to install it in :( Once I get some more time I will dig into it.