Author Topic: For Honor  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +60/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
For Honor
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:20:28 am »
So the idea of vikings vs knights vs samurai in a battle royale is waaaaaaay too cool for me to pass up. I signed up very early and got into their beta weekend this weekend. For the PC in this case. Anyone else?

Hard part is choosing between vikings and samurai, but since I just hosted a viking themed party and have been growing out a nice viking beard, I'm committed to my norse brethren.

ridiculous long link

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline Twinky

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +20/-18
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: For Honor
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:56:12 am »
Totally fell in love with it when they first revealed it, but I just can't do match games any more.  :waaaht:
I'll try anything once and do it again for fun.

Always out numbered. Never out gunned.
Twitch: TwinkyGTV
Twitter: @BigNopes
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bigtxn

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +121/-113
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:36 am »
I've been keeping my eye on it. Pretty sweet looking.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 02:12:19 pm »
Yeah, the match games is definitely the part I'm afraid will ruin my enjoyment of the game. I'll post my review after this weekend though, I'm hoping I can get at least a couple of hours in with the different game modes to give a review.

The single player component (I know, not the strong selling point for most of this crowd) could get me to purchase it either way though. It's a full fledged single player experience, not a tacked on afterthought or "tutorial" mode.

--Oscar Levant

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:05:36 am »
Yeah, the match games is definitely the part I'm afraid will ruin my enjoyment of the game. I'll post my review after this weekend though, I'm hoping I can get at least a couple of hours in with the different game modes to give a review.

The single player component (I know, not the strong selling point for most of this crowd) could get me to purchase it either way though. It's a full fledged single player experience, not a tacked on afterthought or "tutorial" mode.

I may be in the minority, but I love single player components of games. (That is if they are designed well)

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +33/-53
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:39:18 am »
I played in an earlier beta and thought it was pretty cool. All hinges on being able to map the controls decently. Don't have time for this one. Been studying up for the latest SQL certifications and plan on getting the Azure ones afterwards so I'm buried in the books for now.  :nerd:

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 09:45:41 am »
My verdict:

Pros - Awesome visuals, animation, gritty feel. Cool character options, customization. Really deep as far as tweaking skills, gear combinations, etc to help fight, though at the end it is a skill based game, not RNG. Combat is deep and complex without feeling like a button masher or too complicated to adapt to.

Cons - Match play is the whole game. Clearly designed as a console game with all the console controls, hints, etc still in the PC version. The descriptions are all controller based with keyboard + mouse tacked on nearly as an after thought. You can rebind everything, but it still "feels" like a port rather than the smooth controls of a native version.

Unknown - The solo campaign stuff was completely missing, so I don't have any idea how it is

Conclusion - No matter how much I want to like this game, the 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 format for the game is not for me. Not without a dedicated group of SN playing it all the time so I didn't have to group up with scrubs. Might pick it up for the solo after it goes on discount past the main release, but won't be paying full price for a game I won't play due to the small team match format only.

--Oscar Levant

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:19 am »
all controller based with keyboard + mouse tacked on nearly as an after thought.

That's all I had to hear.

Offline Twinky

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:31:55 am »
I played in an earlier beta and thought it was pretty cool. All hinges on being able to map the controls decently. Don't have time for this one. Been studying up for the latest SQL certifications and plan on getting the Azure ones afterwards so I'm buried in the books for now.  :nerd:
re-certs after the 2 to 3 year change? :p

Offline Twinky

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:34:28 am »

I may be in the minority, but I love single player components of games. (That is if they are designed well)
I love the single players campaigns with good story (half life and COD:MW), but in the last few years the art of story telling is lost and all the focus has been on profit generation, about the time map packs went from being free to paid DLC.

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +33/-53
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:51:16 pm »
all controller based with keyboard + mouse tacked on nearly as an after thought.

It isn't as bad as it sounds. The only problem I had was the mapping for stances vs direction you are facing. If they let you move stances off of the MOUSE then it will be fine.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:24:50 am »

It isn't as bad as it sounds. The only problem I had was the mapping for stances vs direction you are facing. If they let you move stances off of the MOUSE then it will be fine.
I tend to shy away from shabby console ports, out of principle :) PC First!

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 10:42:45 am »

:cheers:

--Oscar Levant

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:41 am »

I've grown weary of developers doing this. I do not think there has been a port from console to PC that I have liked. They have always seemed hamstrung, you can see the limitations of the console ported over to the PC. One of the worst things that drives me nuts is the inability to rebind keys.

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +67/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
I am a big fan of Mad Max.  The console and PC games are completely different in regards to menu options, key binding, etc.  It was made first for console and then ported, but you would never be able to tell.  I honestly thought it was just a PC only game. 

It's not porting the games that is the problem, it's lazy studios and publishing companies pushing for unrealistic release dates.