Author Topic: Spiral Studios article, interesting read  (Read 1820 times)

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +63/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
Spiral Studios article, interesting read
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »
I admit, under pressure from my 5yo son at the time, I bought the original Dino:Beatdown from Spiral Studios.  He wanted it for the dinosaurs and I wanted it because I love FPS and killing stuff.  Man, what a crappy game that turned out to be.  I think we both spent maybe 20 minutes in the game.  He didn't like the jerky, crappy AI dinosaurs and I didn't like it because it was a buggy, hot mess.  I uninstalled it and considered it a monetary loss.  So, there it remained on my steam library list, never played and in a constant shade of grey because I never re-installed it.

One of the news articles on Steam this morning was Dino:Horde from Spiral Studios http://store.steampowered.com/app/104900/
I was about to get on the Steam forums, here and other gaming sites to warn people away from this trashy company.  But, I looked in my library and Dino:Beatdown was gone and was replaced by Dino:Horde.  What's this?  A way to sucker other foolish people into losing money?  On looking further and reading online reviews, the studio was so embarrassed by their original title, they went back to the drawing board and redesigned the whole game scratch.  They gave free updates to the purchasers of the original game and free DLC content as well. 

I found this short article about what happened with the original release, the turmoil at Spiral studios and it is quite an interesting read.
http://artistryingames.com/spiraling-control-incredible-journey-spiral-game-studios/

I haven't installed the game yet, so I cannot tell you if it is any good.  Everyone else says its great, so I will probably install it today or tomorrow.  I will report back here what I find.  If this is good I will feel better knowing there are people out there who care about making a quality game and fix their mistakes.

Just thought I would share.
alphie

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +117/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Re: Spiral Studios article, interesting read
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:40:01 pm »
I respect their approach to the unfortunate situation.
I might look into it just because I like companies that own up to their shortcomings and make it right with their customers.
na I pry won't, but I would if I were looking for another game to play.

Offline LyonHart

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +33/-36
  • The Dark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:15:50 pm »
I admire the makers of Fallen Enchantress for the same reasons.  They owned up to a bad predecessor and provided Fallen Enchantress to everyone for free.  I believe it is Stardock. 

Offline Staposter

• super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:38:24 am »
Despite a bizarre but admitted frankly that is something that we should know it.

Offline RBeen

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +34/-91
  • Canada Goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »
Despite a bizarre but admitted frankly that is something that we should know it.
:waaaht:

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +63/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »
:waaaht:
ROFLMAO

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +60/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 03:28:21 am »
Bannta? Is that you? It doesn't look like you. I didn't know you had a twin...

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:20:37 am »
I for a cleric, I think resurrected random post we should apple pie.

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +84/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
    • Sheephole
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 03:05:37 pm »
Bannta? Is that you? It doesn't look like you. I didn't know you had a twin...

There can only be one...seriously, or I would of gotten that weird highlander hardon. Anyways, it make prefect sence too me.

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis