Author Topic: Initial build sequence?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline SKilly

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +10/-4
  • Surly
    • View Profile
Re: Initial build sequence?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:50 am »
Yep I'll agree the game is definitely easier than it was, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for most folks. I do think it means most folks should jump up a difficulty level from their comfort zone previously just to give themselves a bit more challenge.

There will be a fall patch coming out that does a rebalance of all the changes that bnw brought in. I expect a few civs will get buffs, and they'll very likely tweak the AI aggression levels early in the game (seems they play pretty peacefully now). I wouldn't be shocked if Poland gets a nerf, everyone on civ fanatics seems to agree they're the new best civ.
Poland? Odd, their UA seemed lackluster to me. Then again, I haven't been interested in military victories lately, so...

Getting a free Social Policy every time you go up an age is extremely strong.  Social Policies are very strong in my opinion and cover a multitude of shortcomings (they help with happiness, economy, military, expansion and eventually science - any area where you are weak they can help) and if you don't have weak areas they can build on your strengths.  The Ducal stable is a nice early assist to the financial engine with a bonus for every pasture plus a 15pt exp bonus for mounted units.  I found them very easy to play.  Poland and Shoshone are the best of the new ones I have attempted so far (best to me meaning they feel borderline/outright OP).

SKilly
(SOL) Navy

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +25/-56
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:05 am »
I'm on the fence about the Shoshone; they get a strong early game advantage but once you hit the mid-game they start to level out.

The Polish free policy per era feels limited to me; their unique building/unt generally push military expansion/defense while the UA is admittedly open ended but the obvious use is to counter the high policy cost they would have to contend with after rapid conquest. I don't know, perhaps I'll try them. I've sortof wanted to but I wanted to give the trade and culture systems a go before I took a Civ that didn't really push any of the new systems.

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +20/-16
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »
Look at the polish ability from a different angle. Lets say you play your normal game in whatever means you would normally. Just by playing that game as Poland, you automatically complete nearly entire social tree (just need the finisher) beyond where you normally would. This means you have access to 1 more of the social policy wonders, and likely get access to use your faith to buy 1 more type of great person in the industrial age, not to mention having an entire tree worth of bonuses you normally would have skipped (say the entire commerce tree for instance).

Offline SKilly

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +10/-4
  • Surly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 07:40:38 am »
I ended up winning the Diplomatic Victory in my game as Morocco.  I had an insane financial engine.  One of the first games I never actually fought a single war (again, AI not aggressive enough?).  I also got the Dark Horse achievement which I didn't even know existed (winning a diplomatic victory while never being the host of either the World Congress or the United Nations).

Since then I have started 2 or 3 times as the Celts but am really struggling with getting into playing them.  I will probably try again before moving on to a different Civ.

SKilly
(SOL) Navy

Offline easton

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • Kudos: +11/-2
  • Redleg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:42 am »
I'm in the middle of a game like that as Morocco.  I'm raking in cash and culture, but haven't had a sniff of a conflict. I have hosted the World Congress, though, so no Dark Horse achievement for me this time.

Offline MadMage

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +25/-56
  • Feral Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 08:35:08 am »
Morocco is kindof in the same boat as Sweden; they've got a UA that directly assists other players who are friendly towards you, so the AI likely realizes this and decides you're too good a trade partner to conquer. At least, I'd like to think that - I know that the game's AI prioritizes more lucrative trade routes and will count said routes towards it ambivalence towards another civilization, so it's probably more of an incidental thing.

Offline seton

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 08:55:49 am »
I am normally a culture win guy...

To that end I go Monument, scout, Shrine, then a warrior or scout as necessary by map and pyramids

Tech is Pottery, mining, masonry

I like getting an early pantheon, map dependent and civ dependent

I basically go to get the free engineer by filling my libery tree, but I normally get 1 duty (lol i said duty) so I get the xtra culture from killing barbarians (and the ability to see them on the map).

Right now I am working on fililng out my achievements... some of the new ones are fun (I can haz space?) as poland is a riot.

Raven.Nevermore on steam.

Offline codete

• super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
    • software house
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 04:02:21 am »
Do you know if that's the only acceptable building sequence? As fara as game's mechanics is concerned, it doesn't mean anything good since it's linear and hence BORING

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +84/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
    • Sheephole
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 01:01:16 pm »
I know most civ players have an initial build order to start the game. I think it's fun to see what everyone generally shoots for (understanding that specific map conditions may change things up a bit).

For me I usually play on King (Difficulty 5) and use the following:
1) Scout while exploring with my starter warrior
Choose research pottery
2) Upon completion of scout, start building worker
3) Once pottery completes, turn on build queue and place a shrine above the worker you started
Research whatever tech is needed for your first worker to be useful (calendar, mining, animal husandry)
4) upon completion of shrine, resume building that worker
5) usually tech + work finish near same time
6) frm here, my strat diverges greatly based on the conditions of the map.

The goal of this strat is to get one of the first 2 or 3 pantheons, and is greatly aided by the scout hopefully finding a city state that is religious (+8 faith). The pantheon i choose is almost always different depending on my civ and starting location. I shoot for faith and try to be the first to found my religion, as I find religion early to be worth the effort as the payoff in using faith to buy great people in the industrial era a major factor in my ability to come from behind.

Typically i'll end up in last or 2nd to last place until the renaissance era, and then slowly make my way up the ranks. Usually by the end of the industrial era I've wiped out a civ, and am duking it out for first place and putting the finishing touches on which victory condition i'm going to win with.

Interested to see how other people approach the early game.

1) Scout while exploring with my starter warrior
2) build another scout
3) race around finding all the ruins
4) steal settlers from a state.
3-5) build settler or try to steal one.
6) rico block a nearby state of the country from a valued resource by building a settlement or purchase the land.

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis