Author Topic: Witcher 3  (Read 321 times)

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +65/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
Witcher 3
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:55 am »
Pretty damn good game.  Got it on the summer sale with all the DLC included.  Cracked out on it for the time being.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +60/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
Re: Witcher 3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:53 pm »
Good to know! I bought it too, but like Pyldrvr predicted, I haven't even fired it up once yet...

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +65/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 01:10:13 pm »
There are 5 regions on the world map and each region is huge, like 45 minutes to travel on horse back from one edge to the other.  Thankfully each town and crossroads has a sign post, that once discovered, you can quick travel to another sign post/part of the map that you have been to before. 

Each region has a ton of quests.  Like so many, you could never do them all unless your anal and don't care how long you play the game.  The quest lines are main story quest, treasure hunt quests, witcher quests and side quests.  Each little hamlet and village has a job board that has anywhere from 6 to 8 quests posted.  You get random quests from NPCs and encounters on the road.  This is all outside of the main story arch.  What's cool is that I haven't ran into a bad quest yet.  They are all pretty interesting and entertaining.

Witcher reminds me a lot of Mad Max game in that you have pretty cool combat and skill trees and how the quests interweave to give you an in depth play experience.  Instead of a car, you have your horse, Roach which I really need to buy blinders for because he spooks too easy and throws me off, usually in the middle of a mob. :D

The crafting is meh.  You can craft blade oils yourself, different oils do extra damage to the beasts they are designed for.  Crafting weapons and armor depends on finding a) a blueprint for it b) the right materials and c) finding an NPC to actually do the work for you.  Sure, its a little more real in that you are not a jack of all trades, but it really slows crafting down a lot.  You may have a and b, but can't find an NPC with the right skill to craft the item.  That is just a preference thing, not bad for the game but I would have preferred to craft the stuff myself.

The only thing I have to say bad about it, is that after a few hours of playing, it likes to crash to desktop usually during a cut scene.  I am not the only person to complain about this.  A quick restart and I have a few more hours until it crashes again.  Save often after big things go your way in the game.  You don't want to lose an hours work because that is the point the game thought it should autosave.

Overall one of the most fun single player games I have played.  It is right up there with Mad Max in my book.

[EDIT] Make sure you do all the quests in the beginning region (hand hold region).  I started following the story arch way too early and went to the second region, where the game actually starts, as a level 3.  It was rough for me to start there so low, but it was a good learning.  A lot of die, reload save, die /repeat.  Stick around the beginning region and do as many quests as you can take before moving on so you start region 2 at least level 6 or 7.

I knew I was in trouble when I entered the second kingdom and it said to start the DLC click on the quest, recommended rank 32!!  LOL
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:21:00 pm by alphie »

Offline LewisRi

• super noob
  • Kudos: +1/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:43 am »
Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPG experiences of all times. The game is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Offline Chubain

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +58/-50
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:23 am »
I have it installed, but still playing Dragonage inquisition at the moment.  It is on my "to do" list. 
(SOL) Navy

Offline Netdevil

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • Kudos: +3/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 12:34:27 pm »
The Witcher 3 is the greatest single player game I've ever played, surpassing Deus Ex and original X-Com UFO Defense for me. Have a thousand hours into it. Ridiculously good. Play on Blood and Broken Bones though. A bit too easy on the first two difficulty levels I think. You get pretty strong after the first 20 hours or so. Also, Alchemy is your friend. I usually skipped that tree in the beginning but brewing potions is very easy later on and stacking that Critical Hit % with Whirlwind fast attacks is like turning Geralt into a mutant Monster Blender.
"Children, the only time they tell the truth, is when they're in pain.."
-Bill Cosby

Offline Horns

• Administrator
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +19/-13
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:59 pm »
I spent many hours playing Witcher 3, its a great game.  I also finished their DLC's,  Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.  Both were excellent.   I cant wait for the developers next game, cyberpunk 2077, it is said to be 4 times bigger than Witcher 3.

Offline codete

• super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
    • software house
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:14:27 am »
Definitely one of the best RPG games i have ever played in my life. It is not only a great game, CD Projekt has shown other developers how to develop decent games and what "DLC" and "Expansion Pack" should really be.

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +84/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
    • Sheephole
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:41:00 am »
My son loves it...me, it's not as technically sophisticated like Minecraft.

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis