Author Topic: Microsoft Windows 10 Devices Event  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +126/-113
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Microsoft Windows 10 Devices Event
« on: October 06, 2015, 06:44:22 pm »
From Plutanium.com - http://www.plutanium.com/microsoft-windows-10-devices-event

I watched this live this morning and Microsoft has some cool stuff coming down the pike.

Microsoft is about to take over the digital landscape as I've been predicting for the last couple of years. The culmination of all of their 'convergence' is being recognized with Windows 10 as it is able to scale across so many different form factors. I'm sure you'll all be seeing little bits and pieces of this for the next few months pretty heavily in the main stream media but if you really want to see what Microsoft is up to and why it is time for you to jump onboard, watch this.

http://www.microsoft.com/october2015event/en-us

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +33/-53
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 Devices Event
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:59:48 am »
Yep. The Surface Book is exactly what I wanted to see. I love my Surface Pro 3, but really wanted a more agreeable keyboard (when attached) and of course a discrete video card. Happy Halloween!

I liked the Lumia tech preview too. I just hope it comes with a stylus. I don't recall seeing one. Maybe the rumored Surface Phone will be released early next year. I am so ready to untether from Samsung but there are very few options to the Note 4 (I didn't downgrade to the Note 5)

At any rate, with the Surface Book and Continuum coming to WP, I have very probably seen my last tower PC and Android will be shuffled off to play on my Pronboo...err Chromebook.  :nutkick:

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:19 am »
Yep. The Surface Book is exactly what I wanted to see. I love my Surface Pro 3, but really wanted a more agreeable keyboard (when attached) and of course a discrete video card. Happy Halloween!

I liked the Lumia tech preview too. I just hope it comes with a stylus. I don't recall seeing one. Maybe the rumored Surface Phone will be released early next year. I am so ready to untether from Samsung but there are very few options to the Note 4 (I didn't downgrade to the Note 5)

At any rate, with the Surface Book and Continuum coming to WP, I have very probably seen my last tower PC and Android will be shuffled off to play on my Pronboo...err Chromebook.  :nutkick:
none of the Lumia phones have ever had a pen. I doubt they will start now.
I just ordered 4 of the Surface Books, 2 Surface Band 2's, 4 docks and will be ordering 3 of the Lumia 950XL's when they release next month. :)
awesome!

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +67/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:03:28 am »
From Plutanium.com - http://www.plutanium.com/microsoft-windows-10-devices-event

Looks pretty neat, but you are pushing it in your review saying "full CAD rendering".  Sure it can render, but it won't do it well.  CAD uses vector graphics which is best suited to Firepro and Quadro cards.  This book is great for gaming, office apps and some photoshop, but CAD?  It works, but it will fail hard compared to something like an HP zBook with full-on vector graphics cards.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/zbook-15-mobile-workstation-243578--1#features

MS Surface Book
Pros:
- It's light
- It's convertible
- It's got great battery life
- It can run all local applications

Cons:
- Price
- It's no zBook

Great for low to mid business users and executives.  Not good for engineers.  For the same price or cheaper, I can get a loaded zBook for my power users who need advanced capabilities.  I like MS Surface Book, but lets be realistic, it ain't Yoda.  Sorry, your review just sounded a lot like marketing, fanboi hype and not necessarily a balanced review.

P.S. Home sick today...  :cry:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:21:22 am by alphie »

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:43 am »

Looks pretty neat, but you are pushing it in your review saying "full CAD rendering".  Sure it can render, but it won't do it well.  CAD uses vector graphics which is best suited to Firepro and Quadro cards.  This book is great for gaming, office apps and some photoshop, but CAD?  It works, but it will fail hard compared to something like an HP zBook with full-on vector graphics cards.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/zbook-15-mobile-workstation-243578--1#features

MS Surface Book
Pros:
- It's light
- It's convertible
- It's got great battery life
- It can run all local applications

Cons:
- Price
- It's no zBook

Great for low to mid business users and executives.  Not good for engineers.  For the same price or cheaper, I can get a loaded zBook for my power users who need advanced capabilities.  I like MS Surface Book, but lets be realistic, it ain't Yoda.  Sorry, your review just sounded a lot like marketing, fanboi hype and not necessarily a balanced review.

P.S. Home sick today...  :cry:
It's my personal opinion, not a professional review and it's no secret that I'm a huge Microsoft Fanboi.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:55:57 am by Pyldrvr »

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:43:38 pm »
If my company was software developed for Microsoft, I would be a huge fanboi too.  I am a huge Carrier, Trane and Ruud fan...  ;D

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:10:48 pm »
If my company was software developed for Microsoft, I would be a huge fanboi too.  I am a huge Carrier, Trane and Ruud fan...  ;D
Had to Bing it :)

Offline Twinky

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +20/-18
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:11:59 am »
I got to watch it live as well, was happy to see some one stick it to the mobile market. As an engineer, I've been looking to get a Surface Pro 3 for awhile (ever since I had seen someone do a full interactive presentation from one tabbing back and forth between slides/videos and had VMWorkstation running in the background), but now I'll have to hold out for the 4 or splurge and go for the book.
I'll try anything once and do it again for fun.

Always out numbered. Never out gunned.
Twitch: TwinkyGTV
Twitter: @BigNopes
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bigtxn

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 10:49:21 am »
Had to Bing it :)

:biggrin:

@Twinky - You'll want the book. Intel has done some nice things with their graphics capability, but they ain't no Nvidia (or AMD for that matter). Although, this is an interesting read on that front:
http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-nvidia-future-industry-hsa/

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 05:43:51 am »
Awesome read Rumblood!  Thanks!

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 01:43:39 am »
Yes indeed sir, and if you want my take on it, all 3 of those companies (and ARM and Qualcomm) are a "buy" for holding up to 5 years or so. Sure, gaming is a big industry but I think that will be the smaller segment that these 3 companies are in somewhere around that 5-7 year mark. When you consider that autonomous cars (3D image processing and real-time decision making), Internet of Things (nano-processors with a number of functions of which many are video or low power uses), Augmented and Virtual reality, and Holographic displays are all past the "can it be done" stage and on to the "we are building them" stage you have to think. With the unreal numbers of chips that will drive these devices, which will number in the trillions; no matter who gets what percentage of market share they will all be bigger than they are today. Other companies will build the products, but these are the companies that will provide the brains behind all of it.

Oh, and don't forget IBM's $3 billion investment in R&D for quantum processing. That might make the rest yesterday's news, but we won't see those on the market before the industries above are well on to maturity.

/prediction  :nerd:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:48:07 am by Rumblood »

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
So after seeing some of the first gen issues with the SurfaceBook and the questionable upgrade value of going from the Surface Pro 3 to the Pro 4; I now give you...the Surface Pro 3.5!

The Surface Pro 4 Type Keyboard is a definite upgrade over the Pro 3 keyboard and is reverse compatible. It is so much easier typing mid-term papers on it now.
The Surface Pro 4 Surface Pen is also a great improvement over the Surface Pro 3 model. Now it does work even better on the Pro 4's new digitizer layer, but the gains on the Pro 3 are definitely noticeable even in areas like improved parallax and reduced jitter. It also comes with 4 different stylus tips. An H, 2H, HB, and B (those are hardness/softness levels). They come in a case individually slotted and color coded with the case holder doubling as the tool to replace the tips. Very nice, though I have not yet replaced them. A 5th tip that is an HB is already pre-installed in the pen. 3 of the tips are similar looking with a practice arrow shape, with the 2H being the only oddball with its broadhead arrow tip

The whole kit cost around $200. I'd say it was definitely worth it. Since the improvements were all in the mechanical user interface that also affected the logical interface with the Surface hardware in a positive way this really does feel like a brand new Surface model. Definitely it deserves to be called the Surface Pro 3.5

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 07:40:06 am »
I'm loving my Surface Book.

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:21 am »

Oh I'll be moving over eventually. Right now the University of Texas seems to think it should come before my Surface Book  >:(

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »

Oh I'll be moving over eventually. Right now the University of Texas seems to think it should come before my Surface Book  >:(

Bastards...