Author Topic: Anyone had any experience with asus gaming laptops?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +14/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
Anyone had any experience with asus gaming laptops?
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:19:26 pm »
Anyone had any experience with asus gaming laptops? Been using their boards for years now but no idea how good their laptops are. Want to get a 17.3" ASUS ROG GL753VE-DS74 laptop from ibuypower but decide to check with you guys and read some review before I checkout with it. Hate to buy it to find they have issues with their laptops.

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +119/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
Re: Anyone had any experience with asus gaming laptops?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:36:27 am »
I think those are supposed to be pretty good. Go check out some reviews on newegg and see!

Offline Chubain

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +58/-50
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:38:40 am »
I'm not a huge fan of gaming laptops.  I'll always be a home PC person.  I recall that Alphabet had a gaming laptop at one point.  He was all about it at first, but later talked about the issues with playing certain games.
(SOL) Navy

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:45:58 am »
I'm not a huge fan of gaming laptops.  I'll always be a home PC person.  I recall that Alphabet had a gaming laptop at one point.  He was all about it at first, but later talked about the issues with playing certain games.
I had one that I used for years and never had any problems with it. So just like anything else, your experience may vary.

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:14:47 am »
It won't be my main gaming machine so not to concerned that it's not all powerfully, but it does have a full 1050ti in it.

Just going to use it for the 8 hour (minus paper work and cleaning that really only take between 30 mins to 2 hour max) I spend at work every night with nothing to do but sit on my butt. When I get my state tax refund in a few weeks I'll be getting a rx 480 + 16gb ram then for my main machine.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:54 am »
It won't be my main gaming machine so not to concerned that it's not all powerfully, but it does have a full 1050ti in it.

Just going to use it for the 8 hour (minus paper work and cleaning that really only take between 30 mins to 2 hour max) I spend at work every night with nothing to do but sit on my butt. When I get my state tax refund in a few weeks I'll be getting a rx 480 + 16gb ram then for my main machine.
I used to play PS2 on mine without issue, 4-5 years ago. They can pack quite a bit of power into one of those things these days.

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:18:24 am »

I used to play PS2 on mine without issue, 4-5 years ago. They can pack quite a bit of power into one of those things these days.

Yeah most new gaming Laptops have actual full video cards in them, they just build custom cool systems and connections for them. I went ahead and ordered it, they have Valentine specials going on for the next 12 hours and got $70 off the order. So it's 17.3" asus with a i7-7700HQ Mobile Processor Quad core 2.8GHz boost of 3.8ghz, 16gb 2400MHz DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI - 4GB. Also got a GAMDIAS Hephaestus II Gaming Headset for free (needed a new one anyways), a new mouse pad for free, with a iBUYPOWER Backlit Gaming Keyboard (like $9 for it), and it came to $1254 all together. look forward to use it.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »
I think you'll be happy with that.

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:59 pm »
Hmm only issue is ibuypower is slow, ordered it yesterday at 11-12ish and they say their gathering parts today and it could take days to ship..... It the stock setup you get of the shelf and can get from anywhere, so no idea what "parts" their gathering. Ordered another laptop (lot cheaper one) for my mother from BestBuy at the same time and they shipped it the same day, even though they said you had to order before 11am to get same day shipping.

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +65/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:34:06 pm »
Yep, it sucked.  If it would've been dedicated Nvidia GPU only it would've been fine.  But it had and Intel business graphics chip and the Nvidia for gaming.  The damn thing wouldn't switch to the gaming GPU on half the games.  It was more trouble than it was worth.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:57:06 am »
Hmm only issue is ibuypower is slow, ordered it yesterday at 11-12ish and they say their gathering parts today and it could take days to ship..... It the stock setup you get of the shelf and can get from anywhere, so no idea what "parts" their gathering. Ordered another laptop (lot cheaper one) for my mother from BestBuy at the same time and they shipped it the same day, even though they said you had to order before 11am to get same day shipping.
it always takes a while to get it shipped.

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +33/-53
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 07:34:23 pm »
Yep, it sucked.  If it would've been dedicated Nvidia GPU only it would've been fine.  But it had and Intel business graphics chip and the Nvidia for gaming.  The damn thing wouldn't switch to the gaming GPU on half the games.  It was more trouble than it was worth.

When was this? DX12 now utilizes BOTH GPU's, so no switching at all. It is more powerful than each individual GPU. I got my son one of these Asus ROG gaming laptops that had the GTX 980M and he uses it over his desktop PC.

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +65/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »

When was this? DX12 now utilizes BOTH GPU's, so no switching at all. It is more powerful than each individual GPU. I got my son one of these Asus ROG gaming laptops that had the GTX 980M and he uses it over his desktop PC.
It was quite a while ago, before DX12.  I run bleeding edge shiz over here so you guys don't have any problems by the time it gets to you.  :nutkick: