Author Topic: I thought I would come back to share this with you guys.  (Read 1412 times)

Offline enryon

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • Kudos: +3/-1
  • noob
    • View Profile
I thought I would come back to share this with you guys.
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:32:52 pm »
Long time no talk Sol Navy! (If you want to skip the story just click the link at the bottom and read the article and watch the video)

I wanted to share a story with you guys about my kids (actually students, but to me they are like my children). This school year I had the privilege to teach at Navajo Mountain High School as the science teacher (the only science teacher). We are a very small (enrollment of 32) remote school (40 miles to the nearest gas station and 100 miles to the grocery store) located on the Navajo Reservation. The community we serve is very poor and has extremely limited resources. Now with the backstory out of the way, let me tell you what we have achieved.

Earlier this year we had the opportunity to form a First Robotics team. We jumped on it even though we had no idea how to make a robot (I'm a biology major) no access to expertise, no money, no tools, and no materials. We came up with the motto of motivation and determination. We believed that if we try hard enough we would make it happen and meet our goal of competing. Well, my kids pulled off a miracle and built a robot, competed, and proved to the world that your really can make something from nothing if you work hard enough.

To build our robot we used scrap metal we scrounged from the trash, an antique welder, a grinder, a table saw, and a $30 ratchet set ordered from Walmart. My kids cam in on weekends and holidays to work 8-12 hour shifts building, testing and modifying the robot. When it came time to go to the competition we had everything ready except for programming. Our programmer worked with another team and learned how to write the program (in java) to run the robot in autonomous and driver operated modes in a 9 hour marathon session.

Today we finished the competition in 35th place and received a standing ovation when we received the top rookie team award. After the event we were invited to compete in a few weeks in Idaho. We are hoping to raise the money to travel out there, but that may be a tall order. I just wanted to share with you how my kids have inspired me.

-Enryon

Link to article
http://www.sltrib.com/news/5026348-155/tiny-navajo-mountain-school-reaches-utah

Link to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6L-9OOmRQ

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +14/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
Re: I thought I would come back to share this with you guys.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:06:16 am »
Damn I can't even start on think of building one from scratch, 20+ years ago when I took a robotics class back in middle school we used kits and still was difficult. Programs it with BASIC as well. Amazing Job you and the kids did building and program one from scratch, special they type you built. We just built robotic arms when I was kid.

What area of Idaho they invite you to? Good portion Southern Idaho is ugly as hell (I live in the South Eastern corner), but Middle and Norther Idaho once you get out of the desert is some beautiful country and a nice drive, if little long.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:10:25 am by StarDruid »

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:41:55 am »
 :spazz: That's awesome! Congratulations!

Offline biteme

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +15/-8
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:55:21 am »
That is awesome and kinda inspiring, well done sir.

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +21/-16
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 12:44:11 pm »
That's awesome Enryon! Great job inspiring those kids and working with them

Offline Chubain

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +58/-50
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 07:38:16 am »
That is amazing.  Great job!  Keep up the awesome work!
(SOL) Navy

Offline Dedsquirrl

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +55/-41
  • Experimental Food Product
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:40:59 am »
That is so great. Awesome job and thanks for sharing it.

"Do you Fear Me?!?!....
Well why not dammit?"

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +118/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:38 am »
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Rumblood

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +33/-53
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:46:16 pm »
Truly inspiring story Enryon! How much scratch are you needing to raise? Do these competitions award cash prizes?

Offline enryon

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:07:43 pm »
We need to raise about 3 grand. It's a tall order, but thats what we expect the travel expenses to be. No cash prizes. Think of this as a nerdy high school sport.

Offline Pyldrvr

• Superman
  • Administrator
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +118/-112
  • Superman
    • View Profile
    • The Gameslapper
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:44 am »
We need to raise about 3 grand. It's a tall order, but thats what we expect the travel expenses to be. No cash prizes. Think of this as a nerdy high school sport.
I re-member'd you. I don't remember exactly what happened to make you lose your membership in the past and decided I don't really care. Welcome home, enryon.

Offline enryon

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:23:33 pm »
I re-member'd you. I don't remember exactly what happened to make you lose your membership in the past and decided I don't really care. Welcome home, enryon.

Thanks Pyl. I Lost membership when I vanished from the scene after wrath came out for WoW. basically I lost it due to inactivity. Now I need to find out what ever happened to Belldark and Bannta. I certainly hope Bannta does not have Bell locked in a basement wearing a sheep suit.

Offline Chubain

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +58/-50
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 07:16:24 am »

Thanks Pyl. I Lost membership when I vanished from the scene after wrath came out for WoW. basically I lost it due to inactivity. Now I need to find out what ever happened to Belldark and Bannta. I certainly hope Bannta does not have Bell locked in a basement wearing a sheep suit.

Did you setup a gofundme page or something else to collect funds?  Share the link and I'll contribute.
(SOL) Navy

Offline Horns

• Administrator
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +19/-13
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 12:04:42 pm »
really cool story, congrats to you and your kids!

Offline enryon

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • super noob
  • noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »
That's a really good idea. I had a couple kids come into school (it's spring break and they came in to do a writing project!) and we started a gofundme account. Here is the link https://www.gofundme.com/navajo-mountain-hs-robotics-team