Author Topic: Grim Dawn  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +21/-16
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
Grim Dawn
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:56:24 pm »
I've posted about this game before (My first foray into Kickstarter). The game is shaping up nicely, but thought some of you might get a boost of interest in Grim dawn based on this new article they just posted about some of the new dungeon types they're working on.

TLDR: They're adding roguelike dungeons to give that HC feeling to non HC chars.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14009

Offline Bannta

• (SOL) Navy Flowers
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +84/-77
  • Got Sheep?
    • View Profile
    • Sheephole
Re: Grim Dawn
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:28 pm »
I've posted about this game before (My first foray into Kickstarter). The game is shaping up nicely, but thought some of you might get a boost of interest in Grim dawn based on this new article they just posted about some of the new dungeon types they're working on.

TLDR: They're adding roguelike dungeons to give that HC feeling to non HC chars.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14009

sound interesting

"Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant....wait?! I was just kidd...." ~ Quote Darth Plagueis

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:34 pm »
This game is shaping up real nice. They just launched the first chapter of act 3.

At this point, first play through for a person like me who explores every nook and cranny, it's about 25-30 hours of gameplay just to play through the content once, and it's very well done. They are planning to release the 2nd part of act 3 in March.

As with all Diablo Likes, you can play through doing loot runs (most similar to Diablo II in that aspect). What sets this one apart is the sheer number of viable build options. You can combine 2 character classes (pick 1 at level 1, and next at level 10). There are 5 classes in game, so 10 total class combinations. From my experience so far, I believe there are at least 2-4 viable builds per each class combination which play completely different from eachother, so thats a LOT of options.

I honestly believe this is now my favorite ARPG game out there, so if you enjoyed titanquest, diablo II, or those types of games, this one is definitely for you.

I did get to the roguelike dungeon, and so far it's the only content I havent been able to beat with my current character set up. Working on some other builds, and farming up some gear to enhance my main characters build to try again soon. Basically the way it works if once you go in, the door closes behind you, and you can't teleport out. Have to get to the end or die trying (only ways out). Once you die, you cant get back in until you craft up another skeleton key to unlock the door again. Pretty neat system to limit farming runs on the best loot drop area of the game.

The game also has loads of "Secret" areas, and the best implementation of a scaling system I've seen in any game to date.

Highly recommend this to anyone who wants to give it a go at this point, even though it's not officially "released".

The Multiplayer is also very good, and has the same instanced loot system that Diablo III has. No dedicated servers, but direct IP connections ala the old school.

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:09:43 pm »
50% off today on steam flash sale. I still love and play it regularly.

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:20:19 pm »
50% off today on steam flash sale. I still love and play it regularly.

Thanks for the reminder. Picked it up now. Installing.

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:02:06 pm »
The final "character customization" piece of the game has been revealed for Grim Dawn.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25907

This makes Grim Dawn one of the deepest games with respect to character customization.

To sum up the overall character customizing options.
Each character can combine 2 classes
Each tree has multiple variations and combos with other classes
Many skills have transmuters which make them wholly different from their base skill
Itemization is deep and varied, and many items have wholly unique skills only available from the item
Each slot of gear can have a component added to it to customize it for your build
Additional "augments" are available as faction based quest rewards
And now this new Devotion system allows you to further customize your skill choices by adding passives or "secondary skills" to the skill used.

So excited for this one to patch in.

Early access is expected to be over by end of year (Game feature complete). Launch is targeting early next year ( to not compete for our Holiday $$ against the triple A titles)

I love this game, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 10:26:43 am »
This game is now content complete, releasing build 29. Opens up the legendary items, and the level cap to 85. Also gives access to the Elite and Ultimate difficulties (like Diablo II nightmare and Hell).

This is one of my favorite games at this point, and if you have any love of Diablo II or Titanquest or any of the many clones of games of that type, this game is definitely for you. I can't recommend it enough.

Offline alphie

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +65/-77
  • The Feral Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »
How would you compare it to say, Torchlight II?  I fell in love with that game and could not stop playing it.  Diablo was so long ago, I can't hardly remember it.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +60/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 05:44:14 pm »
How would you compare it to say, Torchlight II?  I fell in love with that game and could not stop playing it.  Diablo was so long ago, I can't hardly remember it.
I just about wouldn't even compare it to Diablo or Torchlight. Yeah, it's kinda like that, but it's way more involved than the hack and slash of Diablo. More RPG like... questing, massive talent trees, etc. It also requires a lot more work... if you just jump in and play like I tried to do, you end up building a suboptimal character and can't progress. I don't know if they added anything to the game that explains any of the billion and one options there are for characters, but there wasn't when I tried to play.

Feels a lot more indy RPG and a lot less high dollar Diablo/Torchlight style production.

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »
I can mostly agree with Philo on that point. I just happen to love that style of open build concepts. I enjoyed torchlight 2, but always felt like the builds were kind of cookie cutter, and the loot was like a pinata. Grim dawn has a bit more meat to it than torchlight 2 from a content and depth standpoint.

There are several layers to any character.

6 character classes in the game.
You choose class 1 at level 1. You choose a 2nd class to spec into at level 10, so every build is some combination of 2 classes of the 6.
Each class has a pretty deep skill tree with at least 5 or so solid different options and several synergies with other classes. As you play through the 4 acts (about 35-45 hours for your first time through I'd say, assuming you like to see it all like i do), you also unlock devotion points at shrines. The devotion points allow you to spec into a sort of constellation star map to plug holes in your build, or further fine-tune the build.
The gear itself also matters, as much of the more rare loots grant additional skills and abilities for your character, which you can create a build around, or use to enhance your build.

I will say, the game starts slower than most games of this type. The first hour or 2 feels a bit of a slog. The pop up tips have been enhanced quite a bit in recent builds to help you understand everything, but it's more of a learn by doing process overall. But once you get that 2nd class and start to see the potential options for different combinations, the theorycrafting goes full tilt and the depth of the game becomes apparent.

I most often see it compared to Path of Exile from that depth standpoint, though most folks who have played both and come out on Favoring Grim dawn compare PoE as a market simulator since you need to go a lot of trading to flesh out your builds, while grim dawn you can basically play through by just finding the loot you have in the game. From a loot and "gotta find that next item" standpoint, I think Grim dawn has better pacing than Torchlight II did, and I think the build options are superior simply because it feels rewarding when your crazy off the wall build idea pans out and you're like "Holy this, this character is awesome". Just makes you want to jump in and keep plugging away.

Offline Philosfr

• (SOL) Navy Captains
  • pro user
  • Kudos: +60/-76
  • (SOL) Navy Rockstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 04:44:43 am »
I most often see it compared to Path of Exile from that depth standpoint
I was going to use this comparison, because I do agree PoE is probably the closest. But I think it was only Twinky (maybe?) who I thought played that one ever.

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
--Oscar Levant

Offline StarDruid

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Kudos: +14/-15
  • Slightly Sane
    • View Profile
    • Gentle Rain Of Serenity
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:30 am »
I can mostly agree with Philo on that point. I just happen to love that style of open build concepts. I enjoyed torchlight 2, but always felt like the builds were kind of cookie cutter, and the loot was like a pinata. Grim dawn has a bit more meat to it than torchlight 2 from a content and depth standpoint.

There are several layers to any character.

6 character classes in the game.
You choose class 1 at level 1. You choose a 2nd class to spec into at level 10, so every build is some combination of 2 classes of the 6.
Each class has a pretty deep skill tree with at least 5 or so solid different options and several synergies with other classes. As you play through the 4 acts (about 35-45 hours for your first time through I'd say, assuming you like to see it all like i do), you also unlock devotion points at shrines. The devotion points allow you to spec into a sort of constellation star map to plug holes in your build, or further fine-tune the build.
The gear itself also matters, as much of the more rare loots grant additional skills and abilities for your character, which you can create a build around, or use to enhance your build.

I will say, the game starts slower than most games of this type. The first hour or 2 feels a bit of a slog. The pop up tips have been enhanced quite a bit in recent builds to help you understand everything, but it's more of a learn by doing process overall. But once you get that 2nd class and start to see the potential options for different combinations, the theorycrafting goes full tilt and the depth of the game becomes apparent.

I most often see it compared to Path of Exile from that depth standpoint, though most folks who have played both and come out on Favoring Grim dawn compare PoE as a market simulator since you need to go a lot of trading to flesh out your builds, while grim dawn you can basically play through by just finding the loot you have in the game. From a loot and "gotta find that next item" standpoint, I think Grim dawn has better pacing than Torchlight II did, and I think the build options are superior simply because it feels rewarding when your crazy off the wall build idea pans out and you're like "Holy this, this character is awesome". Just makes you want to jump in and keep plugging away.

Sounds like I need to get this one. Everything thing I've heard about it reminds me of old school RPG/MMORPG like Ragnarok Online. RO let you pick and built your stats, skills, and equipment as you want and you can do some crazy off the wall builds that work or screw up a character up completely. Been looking for more games like that. I tired of games where everyone has the same damn stats and skill build, and the game doesn't really let you customize. I like games that let me screw up a build and learn from it, but they also let me make builds that are customized to my own play style, even if other people consider them sub-par.

Remember it's not StarDruid if it's not random topics.

Offline Durntron

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • not so noob
  • Property of Teka
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »
This game just had it's final patch (build 31) before release. The release date is Feb 25th.

If I haven't convinced you of how awesome it is by now, well, it's officially released in a couple days and you judge for yourself.

I have > 250 hours into it, and am looking forward to playing through again with all the new art assets they released with this build, as well as some voice over work for the main story. It's the best diablo clone out there (i like it better than D3 personally).

Offline Tesla

• (SOL) Navy Members
  • dedicated
  • Kudos: +36/-31
  • Contract Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 08:02:29 am »
This game just had it's final patch (build 31) before release. The release date is Feb 25th.

If I haven't convinced you of how awesome it is by now, well, it's officially released in a couple days and you judge for yourself.

I have > 250 hours into it, and am looking forward to playing through again with all the new art assets they released with this build, as well as some voice over work for the main story. It's the best diablo clone out there (i like it better than D3 personally).

Agreed, it has gotten progressively better as the alpha/beta has progressed.

Offline JamesGoblin

• super noob
  • Kudos: +0/-0
  • noob
    • View Profile
    • Camelot Unchained Wiki
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 04:47:52 am »
Looks nice! Here's quick peek by Force: